FOLLOW THE DRINKING GOURD is a feature documentary about the Black food justice movement. Family-friendly, funny and moving, this 60-minute film connects the legacy of slavery, land loss, and climate change to our fight for food security.
We’re proud to announce that we’ve been selected for the San Francisco Black Film Festival, Oklahoma Black Film Festival, Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival, Denton Black Film Festival, Princeton Environmental Film Festival, AfroSci Film Festival, the United Nations Association Film Festival, and the Environmental Film Festival in the Nation’s Capital.
Want to watch the film now? You can find it on KweliTV which streams online, or can be found on Roku, AppleTV, Comcast Xfinity, Google Play and the AppStore.
The documentary features:
- Leah Penniman – author of Farming While Black
- Naima Penniman – of the award-winning, spoken word duo, Climbing Poetree, recently featured on TED
- stic.man – of hip hop duo, dead prez; founder of RBG Fit Club
- Rahanna Bisseret-Martinez – former Top Chef Junior finalist
- Carl Anthony – environmentalist author of The Earth, the City, and the Hidden Narrative of Race
- Will Scott – President of the African American Farmers of California
- Wanda Stewart – founder of Obsidian Farm
- Chanowk Yisrael – founder of Yisrael Family Urban Farm
- Students of Acta Non Verba Youth Urban Farm Project
If you’re interested in organizing a screening of Follow the Drinking Gourd, please email shirah[at] shirahdedman [dot]com.