FOLLOW THE DRINKING GOURD is a feature documentary about the Black food justice movement. Family-friendly, funny and moving, this 60-minute film connects the legacy of slavery, land loss, and climate change to our fight for food security.
- Leah Penniman – author of Farming While Black
- Naima Penniman – of the award-winning, spoken word duo, Climbing Poetree, recently featured on TED
- stic.man – of hip hop duo, dead prez; founder of RBG Fit Club
- Rahanna Bisseret-Martinez – former Top Chef Junior finalist
- Carl Anthony – environmentalist author of The Earth, the City, and the Hidden Narrative of Race
- Will Scott – President of the African American Farmers of California
- Wanda Stewart – founder of Obsidian Farm
- Chanowk Yisrael – founder of Yisrael Family Urban Farm
- Students of Acta Non Verba Youth Urban Farm Project
This film is complete, and we’re currently submitting to film festivals. We’re proud to announce that we’ve been selected for the Oklahoma Black Film Festival, Wild & Scenic Environmental Film Festival, and Denton Black Film Festival.
If you want updates on Follow the Drinking Gourd (e.g. upcoming screenings, etc), please sign up for our newsletter and be sure to mark the PRODUCTIONS box.